Geek Social
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

XANDERRRRR D;<

Go down 
+8
Shell
Ryan
Xander
Marshall
Justin
Captain Eliyahu
Ben
Reprimanded Mandrake
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
Xander
The Linux Kernal
The Linux Kernal
Xander

Number of posts : 1410
Level of Amanda-ness : 2
Level of Faggotry : 918
Registration date : 2008-06-26

XANDERRRRR D;< - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: XANDERRRRR D;<   XANDERRRRR D;< - Page 12 Empty16/03/10, 09:38 pm

This build was full of strange arcane readings placed in old tombs and kings' crypts. And the results were aggravating to say the least.

Trying to build a gaming rig under one grand and forgetting to subsidize Windows is trying indeed.

Anyway here's the build and the price from NewEgg with shipping too:

XANDERRRRR D;< - Page 12 Amanda10

In-Depth Explanation:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103843

This is the processor. It's not the best out there, but it's a triple core model that is extremely powerful for it's price point. In fact, you won't find anything that's really going to match the price per performance of this thing outside of ~$200.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371015

Since we're only using a triple core processor and a single graphics card, we don't need a ton of power. I would have liked to go down to 550 watts to save money but this one was a steal, so it's worth it. Also it's a very stable Antec model, and in the power supply bread, quality means more than number of watts. Normally I would go with a Corsair model, but that costs more than we have at our disposal.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129070&cm_re=two_hundred-_-11-129-070-_-Product

A cheap yet effective case. In fact this is Antec's lowest level gaming case. It's got a good structure inside, a nice big fan on top and and more fan options for later installations. since we don't have room to go to those fancy LED lit cases with side windows, I felt this was the best option in order to allocate the most resources to the components inside without limiting them through heat or organizational flaws. Doesn't look terrible either. ;)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236059

This is the display, the money sucking display. I decided to splurge on it since the build is focused on buttered gaming and various other display related activities. Then again displays cost a lot regardless so yeah, this one at least is a great deal. This one is special since it sports a 2ms response time, perfect for gaming. Great 1080p resolution too. Ignore the built-in speakers, they're worthless.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231193

Two modules with two gigabytes each. That means four gigabytes total. Plenty of RAM to accomplish anything. Since the advent of the DDR3 standard there has been a sky-rocketing enthusiast memory market, meaning you can get ridiculously awesome RAM for ridiculous prices. We're not really getting into that market, but these sticks at least have heat spreaders on them and go up to the 1600 standard, which is good. It's just disappointing that the memory market has suffered because of wars around the world affecting raw goods prices that are used to make RAM and such, hence why these are actually more expensive than they once were.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128416

This is the all important motherboard, the heart of the computer itself. This thing is a beast, loaded with new technology, such as SATA 6gb/s and USB 3.0. It'll accomplish all the current goals of the build and any future ones you may have for it. Which is exactly how one should plan on buying a motherboard for this type of build.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106289

It's a DVD drive, what do you want? >_>

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131327

The buttered card and the focus of the build. This is part of the newest line of cards from ATI, supporting new technologies such as DirectX 11, meaning full Windows 7 support. While this isn't the most powerful graphics card out there, it is very powerful in it's own right and can blow WoW's requirements away.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136218

Your standard hard drive from Western Digital. Justin's sporting one of these in his desktop right now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116716&cm_re=windows_7-_-32-116-716-_-Product

Forgot all about this till the end of the build I hate it... See next post on why.

Be prepared to add in around $100 dollars for mouse, keyboard, speakers, and cables.
Back to top Go down
Reprimanded Mandrake
Administrator
Administrator
Reprimanded Mandrake

Number of posts : 2342
Level of Amanda-ness : 6
Level of Faggotry : 725
Registration date : 2008-03-05

PostSubject: Re: XANDERRRRR D;<   XANDERRRRR D;< - Page 12 Empty16/03/10, 10:40 pm

The cost is perfectly fine, because I do technically have the money to spend on this... I just spend it all on other stupider shit. Money burns a hole in my pocket, and I can't save worth shit. So instead of buying said stupid shit I'll just try to buy a part or two out of each paycheck. That way I don't go burning it elsewhere.

Any specific things that should be some of the first things I pick up? Obviously things like the monitor and Windows will be some of the last things I get... but past that does it matter what order I get stuff in, or should I just get stuff at random?
Back to top Go down
Justin
Administrator
Administrator
Justin

Number of posts : 2830
Level of Faggotry : 1279
Registration date : 2008-03-03

PostSubject: Re: XANDERRRRR D;<   XANDERRRRR D;< - Page 12 Empty08/04/10, 07:23 pm

desktop making random clicking noises

will shut down for the night and hope it goes away

talk to you about it tomorrow
Back to top Go down
https://geeksocial.rpg-board.net
Shell
Insane
Insane
Shell

Number of posts : 1116
Level of Amanda-ness : 4
Level of Faggotry : 249
Registration date : 2008-03-26

PostSubject: Re: XANDERRRRR D;<   XANDERRRRR D;< - Page 12 Empty08/04/10, 10:45 pm

Last edited by Shell on 08/04/10, 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Reprimanded Mandrake
Administrator
Administrator
Reprimanded Mandrake

PostSubject: Re: XANDERRRRR D;<   XANDERRRRR D;< - Page 12 Empty08/04/10, 10:48 pm

(pst, wrong thread)
Back to top Go down
Shell
Insane
Insane
Shell

Number of posts : 1116
Level of Amanda-ness : 4
Level of Faggotry : 249
Registration date : 2008-03-26

PostSubject: Re: XANDERRRRR D;<   XANDERRRRR D;< - Page 12 Empty08/04/10, 10:51 pm

shhh I'm tired lol
Back to top Go down
Justin
Administrator
Administrator
Justin

PostSubject: Re: XANDERRRRR D;<   XANDERRRRR D;< - Page 12 Empty27/04/10, 10:43 am

get the derp model

and name the computer derp

IMPULSE
Back to top Go down
Xander
The Linux Kernal
The Linux Kernal
Xander

PostSubject: Re: XANDERRRRR D;<   XANDERRRRR D;< - Page 12 Empty27/04/10, 11:17 am

Justin wrote:
get the derp model
IMPULSE

You know, I actually think that it looks cool... And I really like that its outer shell is matte, not glossy, and has a semi-rubber coating.

=P
Back to top Go down
Justin
Administrator
Administrator
Justin

PostSubject: Re: XANDERRRRR D;<   XANDERRRRR D;< - Page 12 Empty27/04/10, 01:37 pm

Xander wrote:
Justin wrote:
get the derp model
IMPULSE

You know, I actually think that it looks cool... And I really like that its outer shell is matte, not glossy, and has a semi-rubber coating.

=P

my statement and naming stand
Back to top Go down
pyronigma
Obsessed
Obsessed
pyronigma

Number of posts : 434
Level of Amanda-ness : -7
Level of Faggotry : 174
Registration date : 2008-08-30

PostSubject: Re: XANDERRRRR D;<   XANDERRRRR D;< - Page 12 Empty03/05/10, 12:55 am

Back to top Go down
http://www.elftown.com/member.html?membernr=136096
Ryan
Insane
Insane
Ryan

Number of posts : 833
Level of Amanda-ness : 10
Level of Faggotry : 400
Registration date : 2008-03-19

PostSubject: Re: XANDERRRRR D;<   XANDERRRRR D;< - Page 12 Empty04/05/10, 05:05 pm

Xander, I need some help. I wrote a rather lengthy paper for my theology class, and the teacher would like me to submit it online via the school's philosophy submissions so that it can be evaluated by the philosophy department to monitor my progress...yada, yada, yada, etc.

The thing is, I wrote my paper with OpenOffice 3.1 (yes, I know there's newer versions; whatever). Obviously, the school computers cannot open OpenOffice documents, and it's reaaaally hard to have to reformate the paper after filtering it through a third-party word document (copy OpenOffice to this site, copy this site to Microsoft Word, format Word). As I understand it, there's a way to get the contents of an OpenOffice word document to display as a plain PDF file (or something similar).

Help?
Back to top Go down
Reprimanded Mandrake
Administrator
Administrator
Reprimanded Mandrake

PostSubject: Re: XANDERRRRR D;<   XANDERRRRR D;< - Page 12 Empty04/05/10, 06:15 pm

Erm... Ryan, just save them as a Microsoft Word text document (because I'm guessing thats what your school uses). Click the "save as type" drop down menu and click MS word option, instead of the default Open Office option. Easy peasy.
Back to top Go down
Xander
The Linux Kernal
The Linux Kernal
Xander

PostSubject: Re: XANDERRRRR D;<   XANDERRRRR D;< - Page 12 Empty05/05/10, 04:11 pm

Amanda-kun is correct, you can simply save the document to the microsoft word file type in OpenOffice. Though there are two other things of mention:

1. Microsoft Office 2007 can natively read and write .odf and other similar files that OpenOffice natively handles.

2. OpenOffice 3.2 has been out for a bit, don't forget to update. ;)
Back to top Go down
Xander
The Linux Kernal
The Linux Kernal
Xander

PostSubject: Re: XANDERRRRR D;<   XANDERRRRR D;< - Page 12 Empty01/06/10, 06:50 am

So I was up all night being generally unhappy with the world, and ended up redoing the whole build.

Here are the screen caps of the build:

XANDERRRRR D;< - Page 12 Build_10
XANDERRRRR D;< - Page 12 Build_11

As you can see, I made some subtle changes to the build to make it more cost effective and cheaper. There are $50 worth of mail-in rebates and $20 of promo code discounts, dropping the final price to under $1000, $983.54 with all the shipping and discounts included.

I would recommend just ordering most if not all of this from NewEgg or a comparable online retailer, as I checked out MicroCenter and they really don't have a lot of this, though other parts are interchangeable and could be acquired from them.

So yeah, questions or comments?
Back to top Go down
Xander
The Linux Kernal
The Linux Kernal
Xander

PostSubject: Re: XANDERRRRR D;<   XANDERRRRR D;< - Page 12 Empty01/06/10, 07:22 am

Oh yeah, if you wanna know a buy order, it should prolly go something like:

1. Motherboard
2. CPU
3. RAM
4. Power Supply
5. Hard Drive
6. Graphics Card
7. Disc Drive
8. Case
9. CPU Cooler
10. Monitor
11. Windows

EDIT: The order, I was way tired when I originally put that up, lol.

Last edited by Xander on 01/06/10, 10:53 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Reprimanded Mandrake
Administrator
Administrator
Reprimanded Mandrake

PostSubject: Re: XANDERRRRR D;<   XANDERRRRR D;< - Page 12 Empty01/06/10, 10:10 am

Sounds good. :D
Back to top Go down
Hard Gay
Troll
Troll
Hard Gay

Number of posts : 261
Level of Amanda-ness : 3
Level of Faggotry : 208
Registration date : 2008-08-03

PostSubject: Re: XANDERRRRR D;<   XANDERRRRR D;< - Page 12 Empty08/06/10, 01:46 pm

Best Buy wrote:
The 120Hz Clear Motion refresh rate minimizes blur during fast-action scenes.

What the fuck did I say about Automotion Plus!?
Back to top Go down
Justin
Administrator
Administrator
Justin

PostSubject: Re: XANDERRRRR D;<   XANDERRRRR D;< - Page 12 Empty08/06/10, 03:20 pm

you said that you love it :D
Back to top Go down
Xander
The Linux Kernal
The Linux Kernal
Xander

PostSubject: Re: XANDERRRRR D;<   XANDERRRRR D;< - Page 12 Empty08/06/10, 11:40 pm

There's a lot of Hurrr going on in this thread, I'll be on later to sort this out, busy at the moment.

=D
Back to top Go down
Ben
Insane
Insane
Ben

Number of posts : 1162
Level of Amanda-ness : 1
Level of Faggotry : 710

PostSubject: Re: XANDERRRRR D;<   XANDERRRRR D;< - Page 12 Empty23/06/10, 08:50 pm

Xander, can you post the mods you use for DOTA? I want to get used to Invoker and a few others, with the stuff we normally play
Back to top Go down
Ryan
Insane
Insane
Ryan

Number of posts : 833
Level of Amanda-ness : 10
Level of Faggotry : 400
Registration date : 2008-03-19

PostSubject: Re: XANDERRRRR D;<   XANDERRRRR D;< - Page 12 Empty23/06/10, 10:04 pm

I believe it's something like -apnpfrsc (all pick, no powerups, fast respawn, super creeps). There's also some other command to make the towers ridiculously more powerful than usual, but I can't remember it. Look under the bread commands for the "normal experience" and "normal gold" modes to keep the computers from blatantly cheating (by gaining more gold/exp than a human). I think it's -ng or something like that.

Edit: apnpfrscngne is what you're looking for, minus the tower enhancements.

Also, the Invoker is hard to play. Really hard to play. I highly recommend all-around stat boosting items (bracers, orbs, etc.). I also highly recommend that you try the Sunstrike (EEE) ultimate. It makes for a great ganking tool if you can get good at prediction by finishing off an enemy from all the way across the map. I usually don't use it as my main ultimates, but if someone is running, pound "EEER" as fast as possible and sunstrike them for the kill.
Back to top Go down
Ben
Insane
Insane
Ben

Number of posts : 1162
Level of Faggotry : 710

PostSubject: Re: XANDERRRRR D;<   XANDERRRRR D;< - Page 12 Empty23/06/10, 10:34 pm

Yeah, that happened earlier, I forget who we killed, but it was funny as hell. Normally, I end up with Chaos Meteor and EMP. I read that the Scepter is good for him. I normally go for int stuff, or attack speed items.
Back to top Go down
Xander
The Linux Kernal
The Linux Kernal
Xander

PostSubject: Re: XANDERRRRR D;<   XANDERRRRR D;< - Page 12 Empty28/06/10, 12:45 am

Currently we're playing on DotA 6.67b AI Rev2b with the options:

-apnengnpmcstdu

This is for (in order), all pick, normal AI experience, normal AI gold, no powerups, modified super creeps, super towers, duplicate heroes allowed.

Feel free to modify that to your liking.
Back to top Go down
ximo
ximo

Number of posts : 28
Level of Faggotry : 30
Registration date : 2010-06-06

PostSubject: Re: XANDERRRRR D;<   XANDERRRRR D;< - Page 12 Empty30/06/10, 01:17 am

*~*~XANDER~*~* XANDERRRRR D;< - Page 12 882176
Back to top Go down
Xander
The Linux Kernal
The Linux Kernal
Xander

PostSubject: Re: XANDERRRRR D;<   XANDERRRRR D;< - Page 12 Empty30/06/10, 01:20 am

!~CARISSA~!

=D
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: XANDERRRRR D;<   XANDERRRRR D;< - Page 12 Empty

Back to top Go down

XANDERRRRR D;<
Page 12 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Geek Social :: Discussion :: Technology Discussion-
Jump to: